Social Work Services

The University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) recognizes the unique and enduring bonds that form between people and their animals – animals who are family members, confidantes, partners, and best friends. When these bonds are tested by illness, behavior problems, injury, or death, it can feel overwhelming.

Large Animal Hospital,
Lewis Small Animal Hospital

Make an appointment

Phone number

1365 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
United States

Expand all


As an important part of the veterinary team, our social workers are here to care for "the other end of the leash" (or lead rope): You

Are you a social service provider or veterinary professional looking for professional consultation, training, or resources related to human-animal relationships? Please call us. We can help.

Pet Loss Groups

  • Companion Animal Love, Loss, and Memories Group, Saint Paul, MN  

    The University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center's bereavement group to support those grieving the loss of a beloved companion animal.

    CALLM will provide you with a supportive and confidential environment in which to share your story. By participating in CALLM you will learn about what to expect from grief, strategies to cope with grief, signs of prolonged grief, and ways to memorialize and honor your deceased companion animal.  CALLM sessions are facilitated by licensed social work staff and master’s level interns of VMC Social Work Services with the Veterinary Medical Center at the University of Minnesota.

  • Affiliated Emergency Veterinary Services, Eden Prairie, MN
  • Animal Emergency Clinic, Oakdale, MN

End of Life Planning

Hospice and home euthanasia


If you are interested in home burial, please contact your municipality for burial regulations first. It is also critical to check for gas lines prior to digging a grave on your property (Gopher State One Call, 1-800-252-1166).

Animal Inn Pet Cemetery, Lake Elmo, MN 651-777-0255

Animal Abuse and Family Violence

If you suspect that an animal is being abused or neglected, please call your local animal control officer. You may also call Animal Humane Society Humane Investigations at 763-489-2236.

If you are in danger, please call the Day One MN Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline at 


Local Resources


Give back to the VMC

Gifts drive discovery, expand access to services, and bring expert care to the thousands of companion animals we serve each year.