Making a planned gift in your will or other estate plan will have a tremendous impact on the Veterinary Medical Center’s mission of teaching, research, service for generations to come.
The University of Minnesota Foundation is the 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that has been charged by the Regents of the University of Minnesota to receive and administer gifts on behalf of all University campuses, colleges, and programs, including the Veterinary Medical Center (VMC). The Foundation’s Tax ID is 41-6042488. Click here to learn how the Foundation processes planned gifts for the Veterinary Medical Center.
Share your plans with us
Please contact us with any questions about supporting one or multiple programs of the Veterinary Medical Center that matter most to you. Depending on your particular future gift instructions, we will assist you in filling out revocable University of Minnesota Foundation forms that outline how you wish your gift to be used and keep them on file to ensure it is directed to the proper program.
Will Haugen, VMC Development Officer
VMC Development Office
Veterinary Medical Center
1365 Gortner Ave. #457
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Have you already included a gift for the VMC in your plans? If so, thank you! We hope you will share your gift plans and let us know how you would like your gift to be used.
Common Planned Gift Options
Making a planned gift may help you achieve your philanthropic goals while also saving on taxes and enjoying other financial benefits. We offer a number of tools and resources to help you compare giving options that might be best for you.
Wills and Trusts
Including a gift in your will or trust, known as a charitable bequest.
Retirement assets or life insurance
Make a gift through a beneficiary designation on your retirement account or life insurance policy.
Bank or brokerage account
Naming a beneficiary of a bank or brokerage account is a simple way to make a gift.
Gifts of appreciated securities
Gifts of appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares can be a tax-advantaged way to provide immediate support.
Gifts that provide income
A charitable gift annuity is a simple way for donors to make a gift with some attractive benefits.
IRA qualified charitable distribution
If you meet IRS age minimum requirements, you may give money directly from your IRA to qualified charities without paying federal income tax on the distribution.
Selecting your impact
While some donors choose to make unrestricted donations to benefit the area of most need at the Veterinary Medical Center, we also assist people who are passionate about specific areas within our four large and small animal hospitals. Other programs that planned gifts can support include:
- Individual hospital services for large and/or small animal clinical care. Service funds allow each team flexible resources to buy state-of-the-art equipment, provide specialty-specific training, and conduct innovative procedures to treat patients.
- Continuing education or research projects for technicians, staff, faculty, residents, and/or interns
- Endowed faculty positions
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives of VMC leadership, such as funds to send veterinary technician assistants to certification programs, or wages to pay high school students from underrepresented neighborhoods to work as summer interns to learn about the profession
- Research projects or centers that are working towards early disease detection, management, and eradication in large and/or small animals